Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


If you do not have an attorney, OIEC can provide free assistance for your Texas workers' compensation claim. OIEC employees are available to answer your questions and provide assistance with your workers’ compensation claim by calling or visiting an OIEC office.

You must sign a written authorization before an OIEC employee can access information on your claim. For help filling out the OIEC Assistance Request, contact OIEC at or (866) 393-6432.

Get help from OIEC - Intake Packet

Report your injury within 30 days. Report your injury to your employer within 30 days from the date of the injury, or from the date you knew your injury or illness was related to your job. (If you don't notify your employer within these 30 days, you could lose your right to obtain benefits.)

File claim form within one year. You must send a completed Employee's Claim for Compensation for a Work-Related Injury or Occupational Disease (DWC Form-041) to the Division of Workers' Compensation (TDI-DWC) within one year of the date of injury to protect your rights.

File your claim by paper or online

For many issues, OIEC can assist you over the phone. However, if you need to speak to someone in person, please refer to the field office by county list to determine which field office is assigned to assist you based upon where you live.

The Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers' Compensation has information about benefits on the TDI-DWC website.

The Texas Department of Insurance provides network information for injured employees, employers, health care providers, and insurance carriers. This web page provides important information that you should know if you have been injured at work as well as information about certified networks and filing a complaint.

Depending on the reason for your complaint, your complaint may be filed with OIEC or with the Division of Workers' Compensation.

Complaint information

Yes, OIEC has employees who can speak about our services and our role in the Texas workers' compensation system. If you would like to request an OIEC speaker, please email

More about
OIEC outreach presentations

Office of Injured Employee Counsel

7551 Metro Center Drive, Suite 100, Austin, TX 78744 | 1-866-393-6432 |

Accessibility | Compact with Texans | Privacy/Security
Linking | Texas Homeland Security | Texas Veterans Portal | TRAIL
To report Fraud, State Auditor’s Office Hotline:
SAO Website | Texas State Spending

Translation by WorldLingo